Hall of Honor for Distinguished Leadership Established by Cadets of the Ole War Skule
Guidelines for Selection
LSU and Cadets of the Ole War Skule will recognize and honor alumni of Louisiana State University for distinguished leadership in making significant contributions to the military and/or civilian sectors of society, thereby demonstrating achievements that have brought great credit and distinction to the University, its military officer training program, and themselves.
- The honor shall consist of an award to the recognized individual for his/her distinguished leadership, as well as concurrent induction into the Hall of Honor containing the names and dates of all honorees to date.
- In addition to recognizing these individuals, the honor will emphasize the role of the University in their lives and achievements, thereby presenting tangible evidence of the education and training for leadership provided by the University that enabled these individuals to so distinguish themselves.
- Because the honor is intended to recognize outstanding individual leadership, no compromises will be made that could diminish the significance of the award
The following criteria shall be used in selection of a recipient:
- The recipient shall have attained prominence through his/her leadership in the military and/or civilian sectors in commerce, industry, military science, technology, the professions, agriculture, engineering, the arts, the sciences, education, government, or other worthy endeavor.
- The individual shall possess such integrity, stature, and demonstrated leadership ability that the faculty, staff, students, and alumni of the University will take pride in and be inspired by his/her recognition.
- The person shall be eminently successful, with a record of leadership which will be impressive to the public.
- By his/her deeds and actions, the recipient shall represent the importance of this education and military officer training in developing and applying his/her skills of leadership, thereby reflecting great pride in and continuing loyalty to his/her alma mater.
Those eligible for nomination include alumni,* living or deceased, who have served honorably in one of the uniformed services of the United States of America.
(*Alumni is defined by the Alumni Association as any individual who has completed at least one full semester at LSU as a full time student.)
- Nominations will be typed or printed legibly and submitted using the Cadets of the Ole War Skule Hall of Honor nomination form. Sevencopies of the nomination should be submitted.
- Nominations must be received by the President of Cadets of the Ole War Skule on or before June 1 in the year of the nomination.
- The nominator will sign the detachable part of the nomination form and include his/her address and telephone number. The President of Cadets of the Ole War Skule will detach the name and address of the nominator from the form prior to submitting to the selection committee. Each nominator will be notified upon receipt of their submitted nomination to confirm receipt of the nomination.
- The President of Cadets of the Ole War Skule will submit the nominations to the selection committee no later than June 15.
Method of Selection
- Nominations may be made by any member of Cadets of the Ole War Skule, LSU Alumni Association, and faculty or staff at the University.
- No limitation will be placed on the number of nominations for consideration: however, only (1) nomination will be accepted for an individuals and the name of the nominating person shall not be disclosed to the selection committee. A standard nomination form must be used that will require information, including a picture, that addresses specifically the selection criteria prescribed above. All nominations will be delivered to the Selection Committee, which shall recommend (at least sixty  days before the award) primary and alternate nominees to the Board of Directors of Cadets of the Ole War Skule for confidential election by secret ballot. The resulting selection is to remain confidential until the recipient has received and acknowledged in writing the official notice and acceptance of the selection.
- The selection process shall be administered in such a manner that the evaluation of nominees is conducted on a confidential and individual basis by each member of the Selection Committee in isolation so as to preserve the integrity of process. Only the President of Cadets of the Ole War Skule and his appointed agent shall receive and further process the results of the evaluations of the Selection Committee. Worksheets and similar documents used by the Selection Committee shall be processed in a manner that prevents their identification with the members of the Selection Committee.
- The President of Cadets of the Ole War Skule shall make confidential appointments to the Selection Committee that are known only to him and the person he designates to assist him in administration of the selection process. No officer or director may serve on the Selection Committee, which otherwise shall consist of seven (7) members of the organization with knowledge and experience appropriate to the selection process.
- Appointments shall be for staggered terms of three (3) years with one year’s group consisting of three (3) appointments and the other two terms consisting of two (2) appointments each. No member shall be eligible for consecutive terms, and appointments as replacements for members not serving their full terms shall assume the terms of those they replace.
The awards shall be presented each year during the Annual Assembly of Cadets of the Ole War Skule as part of LSU Salutes (which usually occurs in November on the weekend of the home football game nearest Veterans Day.)
Presentations will be made by the Chancellor during LSU Salutes.
A brief biography and accomplishments of each honoree will be prepared in advance and read at the presentation ceremony.
The University will assist in publicizing the event prior to and following the presentation.
The award shall consist of a plaque of quality and design, consistent with the purpose of the award and a commemorative medal reflecting the year and the name of the honoree.
The name of each honoree shall be displayed in an appropriate place of prominence the LSU Military Museum, upon completion) for broad recognition and open viewing so as to disseminate widely general knowledge of the Hall of Honor and its honorees. The Hall of Honor recognition shall consist of a large plaque of quality and design consistent with the purpose of the honor and shall include the year and name of each honoree, along with a handsomely bound volume on display that contains on a single sheet the year, picture, name, and citation of each honoree in a manner that allows annual addition of a similar sheet for each subsequent honoree.
Anyone wishing to nominate someone for the Hall of Honor, may download an application here.
Ole War Skule Hall of Honor Nomination Form (PDF)
Adobe Acrobat® Reader 3.0 or higher is required to view and print PDF files. Download link for Acrobat Reader.
We also have a completed “example” form indicating “how” the information should be placed on the Nomination Form.
You may download that “example.”